- 4 zucchini (cut in half lengthwise)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or other oil)
- 1 c red bell pepper (diced)
- 1⁄2 c green onions (diced)
- 1 tsp cumin (ground)
- 4 Tbsp salsa
- 1 can black beans (15 ounce can. rinsed and drained.)
- 1 c cheddar cheese (shredded)
- salt and pepper (a pinch)
- hot sauce (just a dash. optional.)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Scoop the flesh out of the zucchini halves. Gently squeeze it to extract any excess liquid. Then dice about a cup of the flesh to use for filling.
- Cook the zucchini boat upside down on an oiled sheet pan for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the boats over.
- While zucchini is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the red pepper, green onions, and zucchini flesh for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ground cumin, salsa and black beans, and cook another minute. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, salt, pepper and hot sauce, if using.
- Evenly distribute the filling mixture between the zucchini boats. Return the filled boats to the oven and bake for 10-12 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
Recipe courtesy of Food For People