- 1 bunch kale
- 3 beets (medium size)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- chopped nuts and sliced fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash the beets, drizzle with oil, wrap them in aluminum foil, and bake until you can pierce easily with a fork, 25 minutes or longer. Allow to cool, and then peel and chop to desired size.
- Remove stems from kale, tear or chop kale into very small pieces, and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle 1/2 Tablespoon of the olive oil on the kale and a pinch of salt. Massage the kale with clean hands until softened.
- Add the roasted beets, and if using, sliced fruit and chopped nuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining oil, vinegar, orange juice, mustard, honey and pinch salt and pepper. Pour this dressing over the salad and toss well. If you have time, let it marinate for 5 or more minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Food For People