- 2 slices bacon (chopped coarsely)
- 1 yellow onion (medium-size, chopped finely)
- 1 red bell pepper (small, chopped finely)
- 2 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste (or tomato sauce)
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika (smoked paprika if available)
- 2 c rice (long grain)
- 1 c chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 1 bay leaf (dried, but this item can be optional)
- 2 1⁄4 c water
- 1 can kidney beans (13 oz. drained & rinsed)
- 1⁄2 c corn kernels (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Cook bacon in heated large frying pan, stirring, until starting to crisp. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring until onion softens
- Add tomato paste, vinegar and paprika; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add rice; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, stock, water and beans.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat so it’s at a low simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add corn. Cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and let it stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in juice; season to taste (with salt and pepper).
Recipe courtesy of Food For People