A common question we get at Oh SNAP is how do I apply for CalFresh, specifically, how do I qualify?

Here is a list of some of the student qualifications for EBT, also known as an electronic benefit transfer:

  • being the parent of a child and falling under the program’s maximum monthly income total
  • participating in Calworks/Tribal TANF Cash Aid/Federal Work Study
  • working 20 hours/week, or 80 hours/month (with a $7.25/hr minimum)
  • participating in Cal Grant A or B (if under 25 years old)
  • enrolled in any of the EOP, SDRC, or CARE programs on campus
  • being a part of Extended Foster Care
  • Unable to work due to physical/mental health

When filling out your application you’ll want to have proof of ID as a Humboldt County resident, your monthly income information (if applicable), and your total household size. This only includes people you buy groceries for and prepare meals with. Money received through EBT can be used to buy groceries at most grocery stores, including the Farmer’s Market!

If you have any other questions, please visit us at our pantry! We are located on campus in the RWC building’s lounge.