- 1⁄4 red onion (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 c bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 c oats (cooked)
- 2 Tbsp steak sauce
- 5 roasted garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin (ground)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro (minced, fresh)
- 1 c black beans (cooked)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (minced)
- Saute the red onion over medium-high heat until it just starts to turn brown.
- Mash the beans, chipotle, onion, cilantro, cumin, black pepper, garlic, and steak sauce together until you have a rough paste.
- Add the oats. Stir the bread crumbs into the black bean mix and let it sit for about 5 minutes. (To make bread crumbs from scratch, put stale bread in food processor or blender briefly.)
- Press everything together and add more bread crumbs if necessary, until you have a tight dough.
- Lightly roll your hands so that the dough doesn’t stick when you form it into patties. Create palm size patties.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Saute the burgers over medium-high heat until slightly browned on both sides.
Recipe courtesy of Food For People