- 1 onion (large. chopped. about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp ginger (freshly grated or powdered)
- 2 c yellow split peas (dried)
- 2 sweet potatoes (medium. peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 c pumpkin seeds (toasted)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and a splash of water, and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until translucent, adding a little more water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Stir in ginger and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add 8 1/2 cups water, peas and sweet potato and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Uncover and continue to simmer 15 minutes. Carefully purée soup with a hand-held immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
Recipe courtesy of Food For People