Cost per serving:
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 can kidney beans (15 oz., preferably low sodium)
- 2 c brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 can salmon (5 oz)
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp
- Prepare your ingredients: chop onion and pepper into small pieces, drain beans.
- Cook rice by following instructions on bag or container.
- While rice is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Put onions and peppers in pan and cook until brown, 3-5 minutes.
- When they are brown, add beans to mixture.
- Stir and allow beans to heat through.
- Add cans of salmon and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Fold in cooked brown rice and turn off heat.
- Add salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Add other vegetables to this dish.
- Choose brown rice when cooking as it contains far more fiber and necessary nutrients and vitamins than white rice.
- Add hot sauce or hot peppers to this dish for more flavor.
Recipe courtesy of Food For People